Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Little Bit About Myself

Welcome to my little piece of the web! Let me introduce myself...My name is Darren. I am a handsome 5 year old Russian Blue mix. A few months ago, my loving mom passed away. She had always taken such good care of me and my sister Margo. I was scared and lonely and nervous. Who would come for me?

Many cats like me end up in the shelter. Luckily, my mom's daughter found a rescue who would take me & my sister. I spent two months in foster car until I became sick. I lost my appetite, lost weight, and became very lethargic. Over this period of time, I lost too much weight too quickly and developed "fatty liver" disease (who knew losing weight would do that?).

So I spent about 2 weeks at the vet's hospital where I was poked and prodded. Eventually I got a nasal drip to help me get enough nutrients, since I was no longer eating. And once I was strong enough, I got a feeding tube. While my prognosis is still uncertain, I am feeling a lot better. And the vet decided I could go home today!

When I finally got out of the hospital, it was snowing! How long had I been in there?!? I rode in the car for an hour through the cold and snow...and finally arrived in my new home. My new foster mom tried to explain it all to me. I am here because they are going to be able to tube feed me about 6 times a day every 2-3 hours. My sister isn't here...and that really makes me scared. But everyone here seems nice. And my new foster mom said I can come out and meet her kitty family as soon as I am done with my meds. In the meantime, I have a great warm room where I am getting lots of love and food, of course. I also have a radio all to myself. Mom wanted me to listen to Christmas music, but I think it is too early...so I get to listen to pop instead. And I even ate 5 moist treats tonight!

I hope you'll come back soon to read more about me on my road to recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment